• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 MrMercury

MrMercury

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:Football, fishing, snooker, pool, golf, history, archaeology, music, computers, good food, beer, ladyboys, girls and sex. But not necessarily in that order.

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:48 AM

MrMercury you will be pleased to know, as was I, that Pattaya is crawling with Indian restaurants. I didn't see any in the soi I went into, but all the main roads, Beach, Second, Klang, etcetera, set meal it were, have an Indian eatery on average about every few blocks.

Self styled as "Pattaya's Most Famous Indian Restauarant" Alibaba is situated on Central Pattaya Road (aka Pattaya Klang) at #1/13-14. It looks the goods, very flash with an extensive menu, and does home deliveries. Most dishes in the range 200-300 TB, which for local standards are deemed expensive prices. But if you think about it, 3 such dishes and some rice & drinks will set you back about 1,000 TB, or 30 USD. Hardly expensive by global standards. The doorman/ barker is kitted out in the full maharaja outfit and all seems very classy. Unfortunately I didn't get time to eat there, but it's on my list for next time. Open from midday till midnight every day.

Another similarly classy looking and popular place is located between the soi 10 and soi 11 corners on Beach Road. Sher "E" Punjab. From my wandering observations it seemed to open and close about the same times, ie 12:00 - 24:00. Disappointingly, they had no menu lectern out front, and no staff trying, tailor like, to impress passersby and drag you inside. So I cannot comment on food or prices. Each time I was nearby I had eaten already or had other plans, so it's another next time one as well.

The first one I ate in was Dillii Haat, at 437/87 M9 soi 6/1. It is about 30m from the corner of the soi with Beach Rd. Opening hours: 11:30 - 23:30. An upstairs place, with a huge room for seating about 80 diners, but presumably not airconditioned on quiet days, for we (this was about 21:00, and I was with a LB) were ushered through to an adjoining area behind glass which seated about 16 and was aircon active. Two friendly and attentive Thai girls acted as waitstaff. Elegant decor. Neither of us were all that hungry, so I simply ordered a chicken curry, yellow Indian rice (heshe said she wanted that), and a butter naan. See how we go. It turned out to be enough, with servings quite large. The rice was too gluggy for my tastes, the curry OK and the BN perfect. I had a gutfull of beer and LB cum, so we shared a small water. With 10% service charge and 7% VAT, the bill came to just over 510 TB, pretty cheap for two.

Another day I ate lunch alone at Tandoori House, 397/26 2nd Road. I can't recall exactly, but it's roughly in the area of soi 11, 12, 13, somewhere there, opposite Mike Shopping Mall. Also elegant decor. Aircon. Mutton curry, jeera rice and butter naan, with a sweet lassi to drink brought a bill total of 350 TB (no extra charges). I rarely eat a lot at lunchtime, so this was way too much for me. They happily packed up the remains and I took them back to my hotel room for another day. The food was OK, the mutton just a wee bit tough but very hot and spicey, the rice fine and the BN fair.

Following day I ate a very late lunch a bit after 15:00 at a place called Little India in the Central Shopping Arcade, off 2nd Road, #216/41, not far from the above and again advertised as opposite Mike Shopping Mall. Nice quiet venue at the end of the arcade, looking out onto pot planted palms, other plants and a beer bar. I had an aloo matter, a daal soup and my ubiquitous butter naan. With 2 glasses of chilled white (80 TB each) the bill came to 430. The food was only fair, the aloo gravy too thick, with the texture of toothpaste, the BN poor, and the soup OK. However, I was again able to take some home.

So, to try to help out a bit by comparing these 3 outlets, as you ask MM, for any recommendations. I use a simple index for Indian restaurants - based only on food and not taking into consideration service, ambience and other things provided they are all reasonably equal. I take the 3 main dishes and neglect minor ones. In this case it was easy as at each joint I/we only had 3 dishes. Score each out of 10 then average. (Scores are totally subjective, merely according to my tastes.)

This exercise gives the following ratings:

Restaurant Index
Dillii Haat 6
Tandoori House 5
Little India 3.6

But it needs to be remembered that while all had reasonable service and aircon, DH had 10% + 7% whacked onto bill that the other 2 didn't have.

Even with the taxes, I feel DH was the best meal, and LI the weakest, so the index works for the comparison. Anyhow, that's just a very small sample to whet your whistle and ponder as locations to take your favourite LB for what is possibly a novel dining experience for himher.

Hi Ken and many thanks for that excellent and detailed info which gets you +1 from me. It certainly looks like my gastronomic pleasures will be just as enjoyable as my sexual ones. I shall certainly make a note of them and certainly try Dillii Haat.
Thanks for taking the time and trouble of posting the info. Hope you are having a great trip.

MM

#22 KenW

KenW

LB Lover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:cock, tiny titlets, slut toes.

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

Pleasure MM. A magnificent trip. And while I enjoy Thai food, it is so good to see so much Indian available in Pattaya.

#23 snick

snick

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:53 AM

Next to drinking street is a good place, I was the. Only non-Indian eating there

Also, across 2nd road from central.

#24 bubbatoo

bubbatoo

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:38 AM

Looks like we can do some Indian food sessions next time you visit LOS, Ken W. That will give me an excuse to get out and about, I would think.
:P

Shades of the old Saigon, maybe?

Edited by bubbatoo, 23 September 2010 - 01:39 AM.

#25 KenW

KenW

LB Lover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

Yeh mate, for sure shades of the old Saigon.

We can go direct from Dillii Haat to Mandarin and I'll introduce you to the most beautiful stiff horizontal cock (see my TR) that ever came out of southern Thailand. And, that I have ever seen. I can assure you from experience, that divine(ing) rod taken with butter naan makes for a sublime repast.

NB to BM readers: NO hot dog analogy replies you bastards, that would be equivalent to sacrilege. :Tongue Out:

#26 bubbatoo

bubbatoo

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:18 AM

KenW,

In Thai parlance: "You velly bad man!"

But I like ya! Just not gonna eat anything you cook and will lock up my refrigerator when you come calling.

:Eating:

#27 friddy

friddy

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:16 PM

I do like a good curry, but I still think that some of the the best Indian food is found in the Uk, and many of the worst found in India.

Yes I agree about the UK curry houses
and have found Thai Indian food to be pretty below average especially in BKK

However my 2 favourites are Neeroys Bradford curry house on soi chayapun,opposite canterbury tales & crazy daves.
They are like a very good English Pub Curry.with rice or chapati you are looking about 150bht,sheeks or shamis are 35bht and the papadoms are 10bht with onion and raita mix.The traditional English nosh here is very good too and they do a free delivery service to anywhere in Pattaya.I have eaten here about 50 times and I love it.
The other is Sher e punjab on the beach rd near the Mike shopping mal.This is popular with Indians.The tandoori dishes are better than the curries and the Indian Manageress is very bossy.expect to pay 400 bht for a meal including starter and drink.
Others in Pattaya are quite good and improving over the years with more competition I think.

#28 jcs

jcs

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts
  • Interests:The quiet life..

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:50 PM

Yes I agree about the UK curry houses
and have found Thai Indian food to be pretty below average especially in BKK

However my 2 favourites are Neeroys Bradford curry house on soi chayapun,opposite canterbury tales & crazy daves.
They are like a very good English Pub Curry.with rice or chapati you are looking about 150bht,sheeks or shamis are 35bht and the papadoms are 10bht with onion and raita mix.The traditional English nosh here is very good too and they do a free delivery service to anywhere in Pattaya.I have eaten here about 50 times and I love it.
The other is Sher e punjab on the beach rd near the Mike shopping mal.This is popular with Indians.The tandoori dishes are better than the curries and the Indian Manageress is very bossy.expect to pay 400 bht for a meal including starter and drink.
Others in Pattaya are quite good and improving over the years with more competition I think.

I love Neeroys for what it is, But to say Neeroys has good Indian curry's is absolutely mad!!! It has Good English curry's that is all.

Also have been to to the Indian you mentioned, another fairly substandard Indian fare!!!

Listen, you are in Thailand-------So eat Thai!!!! Much healthier than Indian, as well as tasting 100 times better.

Edited by jcs, 25 September 2010 - 04:51 PM.

#29 Nob Hoskins

Nob Hoskins

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Putting stockings on my head

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

I do like a good curry, but I still think that some of the the best Indian food is found in the Uk, and many of the worst found in India.

I'm sorry & I really don't want to get into an argument, but I'm English & I used to go to India a lot... And just really do have to disagree with you, big time, sorry?? :)

Where have you been in India?

#30 Nob Hoskins

Nob Hoskins

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

There is a good, reasonable (half the price of other places) on Soi Buakhao directly opposite the entrance to Soi Honey.  Thinks it's called Tandoori House or something like that.  Well worth checking out.

Got to agree with you wholeheartedly, I'm a long term cheap Charlie, you're bang on!

#31 Nob Hoskins

Nob Hoskins

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

Listen, you are in Thailand-------So eat Thai!!!! Much healthier than Indian, as well as tasting 100 times better.

Best comment so far

#32 69billy

69billy

LB Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

Sorry jcs..
No disrespect but you are an English man ,what do you know about good food... :Rolling:
This is for the guys who never been to U.K..There is very few proper English restaurants in UK..just Fish&chips or Cafes who serve fry up breakfast..Only food you'll fined in any U.K High street is...Turkish Kebab,Indian , Chines n McDonald..That's tells you some thing about English cooking..Well you can not really blame them,they never had the spices to cook with in the pass.. :Smile 3:
Me??..I just don't like Thai food, it's that fish sauce they use in everything ..I'll have Indian over Thai any time..or kebab :Smile 2:

Edited by 69billy, 26 September 2010 - 02:43 PM.

#33 Nob Hoskins

Nob Hoskins

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

Sorry jcs..
No disrespect but you are an English man ,what do you know about good food... :Rolling:
This is for the guys who never been to U.K..There is very few proper English restaurants in UK..just Fish&chips or Cafes who serve fry up breakfast..Only food you'll fined in any U.K High street is...Turkish Kebab,Indian , Chines n McDonald..That's tells you some thing about English cooking..Well you can not really blame them,they never had the spices to cook with in the pass.. :Smile 3:
Me??..I just don't like Thai food, it's that fish sauce they use in everything ..I'll have Indian over Thai any time..or kebab :Smile 2:

What about a good English Sunday roast???.. I know we're going a bit off topic here, but come on, there's some incredibly good English food out there, it's just incredibly expensive too, that's the problem & that's why it's not in the high st! :Eating:

#34 69billy

69billy

LB Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

What about a good English Sunday roast???..

Pice of roasted meat ,then you got to drown it in gravy to make it edible... :Rolling:

#35 cop

cop

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:43 AM

Sorry jcs..

Re malaka the best food is the cypriot.

#36 KenW

KenW

LB Lover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

jcs, don't you think being in the UK and having to eat English food 3 meals a day 7 days a week would, in modern contexts, be a bit boring. Certainly I know eating old-fashioned Australian meat and 3 boiled veg every day was hell (I grew up on that).

Don't you think the advantage of the global cosmopolitan setup we find ourselves in is that we can chop and change, mix and match, have variety in our diets. I live in Vietnam, and I eat VNese every day, but I reserve one meal a day (evening) for eating what I want: Italian, Thai, Indian, Caucasian Western (yes, roasts are in there).

The same goes for me in Thailand. I like Thai food a lot, but on my recent short visit there I ate Indian 3 times. I love and need variety. No matter where I am. That's the advantage of the current time. I think we are shortchanging ourselves in a culinary way not to put that to good use.

Any agreement?

Edited by KenW, 27 September 2010 - 01:03 PM.

#37 Nob Hoskins

Nob Hoskins

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

jcs, don't you think being in the UK and having to eat English food 3 meals a day 7 days a week would, in modern contexts, be a bit boring. Certainly I know eating old-fashioned Australian meat and 3 boiled veg every day was hell (I grew up on that).

Don't you think the advantage of the global cosmopolitan setup we find ourselves in is that we can chop and change, mix and match, have variety in our diets. I live in Vietnam, and I eat VNese every day, but I reserve one meal a day (evening) for eating what I want: Italian, Thai, Indian, Caucasian Western (yes, roasts are in there).

The same goes for me in Thailand. I like Thai food a lot, but on my recent short visit there I ate Indian 3 times. I love and need variety. No matter where I am. That's the advantage of the current time. I think we are shortchanging ourselves in a culinary way not to put that to good use.

Any agreement?

Total agreement from me & here's one thing to take into consideration; I adore Thai food & some time ago I put myself on a 100% Thai diet, I just got really run down & I was tired all the time.

Us 'Falang' have got different metabolisms & we need to get some western style food into our systems & this is especially true if you're on a boozy Pataya holiday & you're up shagging all night & maybe the daytime too (good fortune permitting). You've got to keep your strength up... And has you rightly say, in the age that we live in today, why not take full advantage of all the culinary delights that are out there.

#38 Streetwalker

Streetwalker

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:04 AM

An excellent Indian restaurant in Walking St. Bombay - on the left as you walk down the street.
It is an upstairs venue.

#39 LazyJay

LazyJay

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

There is a new Indian restaurant the Indian food lovers are going to love, and even more sweet, you are going to love the price!

Authentic tasting Punjabi style (north India) food. Spiced very well, if you ask for hot, it WILL be hot, no worries. Tandoori oven. Menu items you won't see at typical Indian places in town. Examples mutton samosa, 2 big ones for 60 baht, small portion excellent tandoori chicken 80 baht, world class stuffed kulcha bread 40 baht, shabnam curry with paneer 140 baht, mutton biryani served with side curry sauce 140 baht.

They have only been open two weeks. Don't all go at once. They already do more business than they can handle. That's what happens when you offer fantastic food for an amazing price. Seriously, they are a new restaurant in their shakedown cruise phase, if they are busy when you come, there will be a long wait, be tolerant or wait to go when they are less busy.

You will thank me. You're welcome.

Location, find the hotel on this map --
http://www.hotelbeve...ges/map_big.jpg
It's some blocks to the left of that hotel (towards Jomtien) on the opposite side of the street.

This one is so good I wasn't sure whether to share it. But then my ego intruded when I realized someone else was sure to break the news, so it may as well be me.

i'm gonna check this place out when i am next in patts

#40 jcs

jcs

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts
  • Interests:The quiet life..

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

Any agreement?

Yes i must admit that i only eat Thai food 5 times a week, the other two times will be European/Indian/Japanese or similar.!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users