Sign in to follow this  
blueyes

Retirement Visa Question

Rate this topic

I am putting in for a retirement visa when I get back to Farangland.  It looks pretty straightforward.  I am still actually working so I make more than the monthly requirement.

The thign that kind of baffled me as I was looking on the web and it said something about some "health certificate".  Does anyone who has recently gotten a visa in Farangland know what I am on about and, if so, did you have to get one??

I am putting in for a retirement visa when I get back to Farangland.  It looks pretty straightforward.  I am still actually working so I make more than the monthly requirement.

The thign that kind of baffled me as I was looking on the web and it said something about some "health certificate".  Does anyone who has recently gotten a visa in Farangland know what I am on about and, if so, did you have to get one??

Indeed.

Routine general health exam.

Heart, B.P. Lung Function, etc.

No biggie. They just want to know if you're going to last long enough to fall madly in Lurve with one of the Locals, before you check out.

Actually, the thing I find most confusing about Thai Visas is that there seems to be no across the board, standard procedure.

So, One can choose to apply for the visa that best suits you, under whittever Embassy conditions......

In whichever Country;

That best suits you.

Just as an example (60 day Tourist Visa), Singapore is completely anal, when it comes to procedures. I had to have a plane ticket to show them for entry, then exit, before my application was considered. Not just onward travel from Singapore. Thus I took a punt on the result. Indeed, my statement that I could go to Jomtien and get an extension was laughed at by the hijab wearing Lady at the counter. When I asked why I needed evidence of an exit flight for sixty days time that had been booked and paid for. When I had not yet been approved for stay.

It was farken retarded. I had to go and book a Tiger flight from BKK back to SIN just to have something to show them, then come back the next day. Then, basically walk away from it, given I knew my extension was routine and would eventually be approved at Jomtien.

Yet, One might choose to head just up the road to K.L. where things are so mutt more logical.

I was advised not to book any return transport until my application was accepted. As long as I had arrived in Malaysia with evidence of onward travel from there.

Go figure.

So, the wash up IMHO, keep googling and find the place that best suits you, My Friend.

Personally, I would come to Country on a sixty day Tourist visa with option to extend for another thirty days and go through the process here.

Visa upgrade, then a visa run or whatever. Required documentation of income. No health check.

:)

Edited by Thaiman12

Health requirement is different for various western countries.  Just as how your foreign income documentation (monthly or deposited) is verified.  Same goes for background / criminal check.

You don't state your country of origin ...

Health requirement is different for various western countries.  Just as how your foreign income documentation (monthly or deposited) is verified.  Same goes for background / criminal check.

You don't state your country of origin ...

Country or origin in USA.  maybe they wont let us in anymore...........

It is far easier to get a retirement visa whilst here in Thailand than applying for one in the UK.

I've never done it myself but what Starman says is what I hear from several people.

You get 90 day visa (not tourist) back home then get retirement visa in LOS. As I say, this is hearsay and not what I have experienced.

It's far less work to do this visa in Thailand than overseas, documents-wise.

The health certificate basically asks a doctor to say you don't have tertiary syphilis nor elephantiasis or TB

Police check is local vs. your own state/province/country

No translation to Thai and notary and all that.

Contact a Thai lawyer that deals with farangs and let them do it all.

I've never done it myself but what Starman says is what I hear from several people.

You get 90 day visa (not tourist) back home then get retirement visa in LOS. As I say, this is hearsay and not what I have experienced.

I have done it this way and even the bloke in the Thai Consulate in Cardiff advised me of such when I made enquiries....

You can go from a tourist or exemption visa to an O Visa to a retirement visa very easily in Thailand.... Many will do it for you.... Key visa near big C will for 23000baht that will give you 15months on the initial one.... Renewal after first 15 months will cost 12000 baht yearly .... No money needed in bank account or anything... By far the easiest way... They do all the work.... Not hearsay.... Fact.

The only thing that seems to be a pain in the ass is getting the health documents and the police document. I just got back to Farangland and will start getting this stuff together on Monday work permitting. If I can do it myself with a minimum of hassle, I would rather do it here and safe myself 20,000 or so baht.

I have a buddy that did this and said he had to go to the local Sheriffs office and get it filled out.  I kind of have my doubts whether or not they will know what the hell I am asking for but I will look on the Thai Embassy's web site for the relevant forms.....