Knobby

Why So Expensive To Fly From Frankfurt

Rate this topic

Am looking at a sort of mini trip February 2019.

Why oh why does it cost so much to fly out of Frankfurt compared to Heathrow :blink:

Ok so EVA dont fly from Frankfurt , that I can see and they are usually the cheapest non stop direct flights.

But why is Thai or Luftansa quoting over £800 :ElectricShock:

Is it something to do with the tax system in Germany? Come on somebody tell me as this is now driving me nuts .:Bonkers:

Even a 1 stop flight is expensive ( I think )

Might have to book an extra day or two and try a 1 stop flight  which I really dont want to do and (IMO) waste time travelling.

I check Skyscanner mainly but even the other sites they aint no cheaper than Skyscanner.

Also, 

Main Case weight with Lufthansa only 23KG ? Is that right :wacko:

EVA/ THAI from Heathrow is 30KG, is this once again a German law or something?

HELP !!!!!  :Surrender:

Nothing to do with taxes, this must be a busy month for both airlines.

Finnair still under 500€ and Quatar under 600€.

Finnair is like direct flight, they make only one stop at Helsinki and then 10h to Bangkok.

I'am not sure if the question about the weight case was serious. I mean it's not your first flight.

Every airline has their own weight limit, not limited to the country, it's simply their policy.

Edited by Chefkoch

For the dates I want I am seeing over £800 direct and over £600 with one stop !!

Heathrow, well take off at least £200 from those prices.

I want early Feb.

Am used to 30kg for a long haul flight hence why I asked. Prob wont use 30kg but was wondering is all.

Flew out of Frankfurt with Lufthansa last week and it was € 501,-- including a 1 hour feeder flight from the south.

I booked one and a half month in advance, but the pricing structure might depend on the occupancy rate at that time and usually varies from day to day.

The case weight is indeed 23 kg. I had 25,2 kg in mine and they asked me to repack some stuff to hand luggage or pay for overweight, so i would suggest to weight yours before heading to the airport if you choose Lufthansa.

9 hours ago, Knobby said:

For the dates I want I am seeing over £800 direct and over £600 with one stop !!

Heathrow, well take off at least £200 from those prices.

I want early Feb.

You may well find that your dates clash with school holidays (in Germany) with demand outstripping supply airlines are alive to maximising their margin.

In general: check some consolidators or meta-search-engines. If possible, don't fly on Friday/Saturday from FRA and don't return from BKK on Friday/Saturday - Tuesdays/Wednesdays are often cheaper. Around that time, a lot of people also try to get away from carnival, but carnival peak season (Weiberfastnacht) starts 2019 on Feb 28th, so that shouldn't bother you too much.

I just tested on Momondo for Eco, Feb. 12 -26:

Oman Air with acceptable stop in Seeb: 431  €

Thai Air direct flights: 600€

Right here is the deal,

I wanna go from

1st of Feb till 16th of Feb. No German holidays in that time.

But I look on Skyscanner and see 1 stop flights starting around £600 and the only direct on 1st of feb is Lufthansa at just over £800

I dont know where you lot are looking but thats what I see?????

1 hour ago, Knobby said:

Right here is the deal,

I wanna go from

1st of Feb till 16th of Feb. No German holidays in that time.

But I look on Skyscanner and see 1 stop flights starting around £600 and the only direct on 1st of feb is Lufthansa at just over £800

I dont know where you lot are looking but thats what I see?????

I use Kayak.

Finnair will do a black friday sale from 21th to 24th nov.

book far in advance for intl flights and avoid holidays and business travel days

if you're flexible you can save

you might try calling a travel agent and just seeing what they can do

they have resources you can't access just by booking online

i've found that frequently it is still a value to use a TA

cheers

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. 

Always a helpful bunch as ever.

I will check Fiin Air and all the suggestions.

I am thinking I might try and fly our of Frankfurt on the 31.1.19 as looking on skyscanner I can save upto £100 on some flights.

Ok, checked finn air. They saying all sold out.

Kuwait coming in at 536.46 euro but.... wont land till the Sunday. A bit late for me.

On 11/19/2018 at 1:08 AM, Knobby said:

Am looking at a sort of mini trip February 2019.

Why oh why does it cost so much to fly out of Frankfurt compared to Heathrow :blink:

Ok so EVA dont fly from Frankfurt , that I can see and they are usually the cheapest non stop direct flights.

But why is Thai or Luftansa quoting over £800 :ElectricShock:

Is it something to do with the tax system in Germany? Come on somebody tell me as this is now driving me nuts .:Bonkers:

Even a 1 stop flight is expensive ( I think )

Might have to book an extra day or two and try a 1 stop flight  which I really dont want to do and (IMO) waste time travelling.

I check Skyscanner mainly but even the other sites they aint no cheaper than Skyscanner.

Also, 

Main Case weight with Lufthansa only 23KG ? Is that right :wacko:

EVA/ THAI from Heathrow is 30KG, is this once again a German law or something?

HELP !!!!!  :Surrender:

Supply versus demand.

It's as simple as that, Fella.

:)

I just priced driving back to LHR using the eurotunnel incase it was cheaper..... its not. :ThumbsDown:

then tried looking at later dates in Feb and into March, the prices go up again !!

fuck this is getting to hard. looks like its gonna have to be over £750 with thai from frankfurt. Ouch.:Surrender:

Skyscanner : as off right now,  if your willing to go 1st to 16th March,  various options showing for booking on Thai direct ex Frankfurt  starting at £568

Also really good deals, transit times with other airlines on same dates, I.e Air China & Finnair, etc.

Hi Knobby.

check Skyscanner again, search option Complete month Feb to Feb, or Feb to Mar, or  Mar to Mar.,  +  Direct Flights only.

some great deals now showing, I.e. 11th to 26th Feb,  10 deals on Thai starting from £545,  similar aggregate price available on a few others dates.

Speaking of taxes i saw ticket price analysis on turkish today. 

Of 705 ticket price taxes are 50 euros while 295 is fuel surcharge. 

Airasia and saudia dont charge this, therefore can be quite cheaper every time. 

All on hold now.

Heard today at work from now till January there maybe job losses at work.

So will wait and see what happens.In the meantime I can save more so all not so bad.

Also was thinking if i lose my job will spend the whole month of February in Thailand.

A lot of airlines are having blackfriday deals  , only bad point closing date to book seems to be 2nd of dec  on most of them , I have go a refundable ticket on cathy in prem eccom for £1000 from manchester for 1st week in march. Emirates have fares from £450 if you want to go via dubai

Checking prices now until christmas and january i don't see much difference in price generaly speaking. I think booking in january for february can be a good deal. I expect some deals from airliners at the begining of 2019.

I had the flight with Thai Airways Last friday for 550 €

Saturday had Bern 300 € Note 

IT was the Frankfurt -Phuket -Bkk flight

The Immigration was in Phuket. BKK No Passport Control