Twest

Ambien / Zolpidem

Rate this topic

Between the 30 hour travel day to get here, the (non) schedule I keep while I'm here and the 30+ hours travel to get home its there is no wonder my sleep cycle is fucked up from the time I step on the plane until 2 or 3 days after I get home and get back into a "normal" routine.

I usually get an ambien script from my DR before I leave, easy peasy

Well this time I over did it and will run out before I depart.

2-12 hour flights with a 9 hour layover (in a hotel) was not something I wanted to do without sleep medication. 

So a little trip to the Pattaya City Hospital was in order. Right across the street with a LB for translation this should not be too big of a deal. And it wasn't. I had my passport, empty prescription bottle and most importantly my beautiful translator Aew. Whom without I would not have gotten past the front door.   

Aew got us through the initial red tape by telling me what to write where on the forms. With that completed we were told to come back in an hour. So we went across the street, had lunch and returned.

Some more red tape than told to wait to be called. 

Background info: Thailand does not have Ambian , which is only a brand name for Zolpidem. They do have Stilnox which is the brand name for Zolpidem in Thailand. Same-Same. Having this information on my phone was extremely useful when the Med person looked at Ambien on the prescription  bottle and immediately formed a puzzled look. 

After about 20 minutes was called an met with Dr. Explained my situation, presented empty bottle (instantly producing puzzled look) then showed her Stilnox on phone stating /stilnox and /ambien are same same for Zolpidem. 

Then told her I only wanted 10 to get me home.  Relief smile "no problem" 

Another 10 minutes I was out the door script in hand. All in: 2 1/2 hours time and 700 baht. 

Side note: No this is not a narcotic but it is a scheduled controlled drug and they are not going to hand out simply for the asking.  Have your documentation in order, don't try and BS the DR, they have heard it all. And don't ask for more than you need or you may be shown a quick route to the door.  

Side note 2: couple days ago went to a pharmacy and asked for something to help me sleep and was immediately handed 10 valium.  I believe are much more  dangerous than Ambien But TiT. I cannot us Valium for other reasons so it was of to hospital. 

17 hours ago, Twest said:

Then told her I only wanted 10 to get me home.  Relief smile "no problem" 

Another 10 minutes I was out the door script in hand. All in: 2 1/2 hours time and 700 baht. 

Side note: No this is not a narcotic but it is a scheduled controlled drug and they are not going to hand out simply for the asking.  Have your documentation in order, don't try and BS the DR, they have heard it all. And don't ask for more than you need or you may be shown a quick route to the door.  

Side note 2: couple days ago went to a pharmacy and asked for something to help me sleep and was immediately handed 10 valium.  I believe are much more  dangerous than Ambien But TiT. I cannot us Valium for other reasons so it was of to hospital. 

Did the physician ask why for one trip home you need 10 vs. one?

Valium is not prescribed for sleep because it doesn't work to make people sleep (nor does Xanax nor Ativan). All these are anti-anxiety drugs yet people take them and pretend they are sleeping pills which is weird. They also have long half lives so they linger well past sleep time. 

The most suitable short acting pill to help you sleep is Triazolam (trade name is Halcion), and it has a 4 hour half life, although for those where it works, nothing wrong with Zolpidem either. Avoid boozing on the flight no matter what you take. But if you are going to a doctor for a pill to combat jet lag, get the short acting ones, Zolpidem doesn't work for me but Triazolam does.

Any home physician if you show them a flight itinerary won't refuse a couple of either drug, after all one of the indications for both is accomodating insomnia due to long flights. A good physician would say no to valium or other anti-anxiolytics.

I don't know what kind of Valium you are taking, but the blue 10mg that I used to get would make me sleep like a newborn baby... Especially with a shot of whiskey.. I haven't had one in years but just like everything else things are not like the good old days.

Edited by spooky60

1 hour ago, grandy said:

Valium is not prescribed for sleep because it doesn't work to make people sleep (nor does Xanax nor Ativan). All these are anti-anxiety drugs yet people take them and pretend they are sleeping pills which is weird. They also have long half lives so they linger well past sleep time. 

The most suitable short acting pill to help you sleep is Triazolam (trade name is Halcion), and it has a 4 hour half life, although for those where it works, nothing wrong with Zolpidem either. Avoid boozing on the flight no matter what you take. But if you are going to a doctor for a pill to combat jet lag, get the short acting ones, Zolpidem doesn't work for me but Triazolam does.

Any home physician if you show them a flight itinerary won't refuse a couple of either drug, after all one of the indications for both is accomodating insomnia due to long flights. A good physician would say no to valium or other anti-anxiolytics.

Different meds work differently for different people. I got Valium here OTC and it put me out. But i cannot take it LT with my other medications.  Ambien works best for me

I showed Dr my empty bottle for 30 which was filled 32 days ago. I told her I was here for  another week and would see my DR 3 days after I got home. Asked for 10 and DR said no problem. Reasonable request + reasonable explanation + documentation = no problem

I have a valid prescription for zolpadiem 10 mg...if i brought an empty bottle with it showing i still have a few refills left available on the empty bottle, do you think i would still need to go to a thai doctor to get it refilled? Any info would be great..

7 hours ago, spooky60 said:

I have a valid prescription for zolpadiem 10 mg...if i brought an empty bottle with it showing i still have a few refills left available on the empty bottle, do you think i would still need to go to a thai doctor to get it refilled? Any info would be great..

Yes, you’ll probably have to see a Thai doctor because zolpidem is only available at hospital pharmacies. I’ve had no problems getting zolpidem at hospitals is Patts and Chiang Mai.

Go to the pox clinic on Soi Bukaew near the tin cup and Nid Chi House ,they will sell you sleepers like Valium or Xanax for 300 bht for 10 without a script ,got a couple last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Ghost Of Steptoe said:

Go to the pox clinic on Soi Bukaew near the tin cup and Nid Chi House ,they will sell you sleepers like Valium or Xanax for 300 bht for 10 without a script ,got a couple last week

The generic Xanax is 400 baht for 10. Unless they like you better than me. :D

On 11/25/2018 at 9:27 AM, grandy said:

Anti-anxiety drugs do help me sleep. My problem with insomnia was always when I laid down to go to sleep my mind is still going 1000 mph. Xanax seems to put my mind at rest so I fall asleep. YMMV of course.

It knocks me the fuck clean out so I think I will go with what works than listening to someone on a forum thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk