Jump to content
Knobby

Visa Run Question

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Got a question for those here that have done visa runs recently.

I fly in on a 1 way ticket and get 30 days. 

On the 30th day I fly to say Vietnam. Spend a couple of days there then fly back.

I get another 30 days. Then when flying back in I have to show a plane ticket that proves I am leaving the country again in 30 days time?

Thats how I understand things have been for ages right? Is this still the case of have there been changes recently?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Knobby said:

Got a question for those here that have done visa runs recently.

I fly in on a 1 way ticket and get 30 days. 

On the 30th day I fly to say Vietnam. Spend a couple of days there then fly back.

I get another 30 days. Then when flying back in I have to show a plane ticket that proves I am leaving the country again in 30 days time?

Thats how I understand things have been for ages right? Is this still the case of have there been changes recently?

 

When you fly in, you get a 'Visa on Arrival'. At 30 days and preferably a few days before, go to immigration and pay 1900 baht to get a 30 day extension. If you come into Thailand by Air, not by a land border, you get 30 days, plus the option to extend 30 days by paying 1900 baht at an immigration office. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Dick said:

When you fly in, you get a 'Visa on Arrival'. At 30 days and preferably a few days before, go to immigration and pay 1900 baht to get a 30 day extension. If you come into Thailand by Air, not by a land border, you get 30 days, plus the option to extend 30 days by paying 1900 baht at an immigration office. 

If you do a border run by land, you only get 14 or 15 days, I forget which. I just did a visa run to Cambodia, so I took a bus to Siem Reap, checked out Angkor Wat and partied in Temple Town for 10 days, then flew back Air Asia into Bangkok to get my 30 day visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Knobby said:

Got a question for those here that have done visa runs recently.

I fly in on a 1 way ticket and get 30 days. 

On the 30th day I fly to say Vietnam. Spend a couple of days there then fly back.

I get another 30 days. Then when flying back in I have to show a plane ticket that proves I am leaving the country again in 30 days time?

Thats how I understand things have been for ages right? Is this still the case of have there been changes recently?

 

Basically your visa on arrival which is free right now is a 60 day visa if you are willing to go to immigration within 30 days, spend a little time and pay 1900 baht. At the end of the second 30 days you need to leave the country and to get another 30 day visa on arrival you need to FLY into Thailand. Sorry for repeating myself. Just trying to make it clear and help you out. 

Edited by The Dick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're return ticket doesn't have to show that you are leaving in 30 days. That isn't accurate. My return ticket was set for almost 5 months from the day I entered Thailand. Just be prepared to explain your plans, if asked. At Thai immigration, no one questioned me regarding that. In Tokyo they called me to the desk and just wanted to make sure I was aware of Thailand's visa laws. I explained my plans and everything was cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Knobby said:

Thanks The Dick.

Thats very helpful.

No problem Knobby! I learned most of this from a thread on Thaivisa.com. Google your question with thaivisa.com in your Query and you should find some great results. I'll try to find that thread I used. It was just one month ago. All the posters on that forum did a much better and more complete job of explaining it than I could do. Feel free to PM me if you are having difficulty finding the info you need. From what I remember you can pay for your additional 30 days at many of the immigration offices in Thailand. So you could even do it in Pattaya according to what I read online. I did mine in Bangkok. It took up most of my day including the commute, but I used public transport, so if you take a cab and get there early before the rush, I've heard it goes pretty quick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Knobby said:

Got a question for those here that have done visa runs recently.

I fly in on a 1 way ticket and get 30 days. 

On the 30th day I fly to say Vietnam. Spend a couple of days there then fly back.

I get another 30 days. Then when flying back in I have to show a plane ticket that proves I am leaving the country again in 30 days time?

Thats how I understand things have been for ages right? Is this still the case of have there been changes recently?

 

just to be in the safe side, you should have 20,000 baht or the equivalent in an exchangeable currency if you are doing this, they rarely ask but as you are staying a long time on visa exempt and the immigration officer wants to be an ass they might ask you to show this.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k10675235-Warning_20_000_baht_cash_while_entering_Thailand-Thailand.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ask as my job might be going tits up anywhere between now and the end of January.

If so plan is to spend a month,possibly more in Thailand. I am thinking Chiang Mai. 

Can find a cheap enough apartment and the airport is nearby for visa runs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Knobby said:

I ask as my job might be going tits up anywhere between now and the end of January.

If so plan is to spend a month,possibly more in Thailand. I am thinking Chiang Mai. 

Can find a cheap enough apartment and the airport is nearby for visa runs. 

if you are still in the UK you would be better off getting a METV, (multiple entry tourist visa) from the Thai Embassy in London or consulate in Hull, then you can come and go as you please for 6 months and get a 60 day stamp which can be extended for another 30 days each time you enter thailand, and if you do your last entry just before it expires you can get another 60 day entry+30day extension on top of that giving you almost 9 months in Thailand.

 

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-the-new-six-months-visa-to-thailand-and-how-to-use-it-p147

 

hope that helps, I use METV's from the UK to stay almost full time in Thailand because I am to young for a retirement visa, don't work and have no interest in marrying a GG 5555 

feel free to PM me if you want more details

Edited by LazyJay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Dick said:

If you do a border run by land, you only get 14 or 15 days, I forget which. I just did a visa run to Cambodia, so I took a bus to Siem Reap, checked out Angkor Wat and partied in Temple Town for 10 days, then flew back Air Asia into Bangkok to get my 30 day visa.

A border run gets you 30 days now (most countries).  You can do it twice in a calendar year.  Rule has been in place for like two years now (unless they changed it again).  Did a Cambodia run with one of those Visa agencies this april and around the same time last year.  Both times got 30 days.  This could also be extended for another 30 days at immigration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come in for 30 days (its not actually a Visa on Arrival that is a separate thing for specific countries). Extend at Imm for B1900 or take a trip just to see somewhere else.

At present BOTH air and land crossings grant a 30 day enty. be wary of Thaigeezer threads a lot of info is second hand or out of date. Contact people who are actually in country at the time.

As you can get a thirty day extension in country I would suggest not getting a 60 day tourist visa from the Embassy- that is more useful if you wanted to come in for 90 days (ie- 60 days on entry plus a 30 day extension).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 12:43 PM, Ivor said:

Come in for 30 days (its not actually a Visa on Arrival that is a separate thing for specific countries). Extend at Imm for B1900 or take a trip just to see somewhere else.

At present BOTH air and land crossings grant a 30 day enty. be wary of Thaigeezer threads a lot of info is second hand or out of date. Contact people who are actually in country at the time.

As you can get a thirty day extension in country I would suggest not getting a 60 day tourist visa from the Embassy- that is more useful if you wanted to come in for 90 days (ie- 60 days on entry plus a 30 day extension).

  Glad you cleared up a few errors above. Entry stamp not visa on arrival and 30 days at land borders.

  My only comment would be that if I am coming for only about 60 days why not get a single entry tourist visa? Maybe it's easier in the US but I can get a TV for less than the 1900 baht it would cost to extend at immigration and not spend hours at the miserable immigration office in Jomtien. Plus if your lodging place hasn't reported your stay to immigration one will be out another 1600 baht.

FWIW 

Edited by Len Dtuut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 8:20 PM, Len Dtuut said:

  Glad you cleared up a few errors above. Entry stamp not visa on arrival and 30 days at land borders.

  My only comment would be that if I am coming for only about 60 days why not get a single entry tourist visa? Maybe it's easier in the US but I can get a TV for less than the 1900 baht it would cost to extend at immigration and not spend hours at the miserable immigration office in Jomtien. Plus if your lodging place hasn't reported your stay to immigration one will be out another 1600 baht.

FWIW 

Yep- I agree.  the 60 day also gives you the option of extending for 30 days if you want. hassle free if you have a consulate near you and takes the pain out of worrying over dates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 6:43 AM, Ivor said:

Come in for 30 days (its not actually a Visa on Arrival that is a separate thing for specific countries). Extend at Imm for B1900 or take a trip just to see somewhere else.

At present BOTH air and land crossings grant a 30 day enty. be wary of Thaigeezer threads a lot of info is second hand or out of date. Contact people who are actually in country at the time.

As you can get a thirty day extension in country I would suggest not getting a 60 day tourist visa from the Embassy- that is more useful if you wanted to come in for 90 days (ie- 60 days on entry plus a 30 day extension).

I think this will be what I will do.

I am about to pull the trigger on something (not saying yet) and wont have time to goto Thai Embassy in London 1st to get a 60 day visa.

 

So to re cap, (please do correct me if I have anything wrong)

I would enter on a 1 way flight into BKK with the  standard 30 days, once in Thiland I goto an immigration office to get a 30 day visa extension ?

I would have to have a flight booked on the 30th day out of Thailand. spent a day or three out of the country somewhere then fly back in again on a 1 way ticket also?

Then at the end of the 60 days can I get another extension or do I just keep on doing visa runs every 30 days?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Knobby said:

I think this will be what I will do.

I am about to pull the trigger on something (not saying yet) and wont have time to goto Thai Embassy in London 1st to get a 60 day visa.

 

So to re cap, (please do correct me if I have anything wrong)

I would enter on a 1 way flight into BKK with the  standard 30 days, once in Thiland I goto an immigration office to get a 30 day visa extension ?

I would have to have a flight booked on the 30th day out of Thailand. spent a day or three out of the country somewhere then fly back in again on a 1 way ticket also?

Then at the end of the 60 days can I get another extension or do I just keep on doing visa runs every 30 days?

 

 

Come in on the first visa exempt stamp good for 30 days then extend in country at immigration for another 30 days for a total of 60 days for 1900 THB.

Then you can fly out and reenter to get another visa exempt for 30 days which you can extend in country for another 30 days for a total of 60 days for 1900 THB.

You should be able to stay for 4 months in all this way. 

Have the 20000 THB or equivalent currency with you when entering Thailand.

 

Did you want to stay longer than 4 months?

Edited by skippy123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Knobby said:

I would enter on a 1 way flight into BKK with the  standard 30 days, once in Thiland I goto an immigration office to get a 30 day visa extension ? 

Warning: when you extend a 30 day entry stamp your new 30 days will start the date you get the extension (unless it changed since I did it last year and the year before). So you need to extend at immigration as close to when your 30 stamp expires as possible. If one extends a tourist visa they get the full 30 days added on to the exit date on the stamp even if they go in a week before and get an extension. 

Edited by Len Dtuut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Len Dtuut said:

Warning: when you extend a 30 day entry stamp your new 30 days will start the date you get the extension (unless it changed since I did it last year and the year before). So you need to extend at immigration as close to when your 30 stamp expires as possible. If one extends a tourist visa they get the full 30 days added on to the exit date on the stamp even if they go in a week before and get an extension. 

That's news to me, I never knew that had changed. Assuming you're correct, then I've learnt something contrary to what I believed to be the case.

I have no reason at all to doubt you as you do extensions far more regularly than me and I read here that you did one quite recently. Up until you stating it here (above) I'd never heard of this before and I do try and keep my ears and eyes open for such things. If this is the case it must've changed between 2 and 5 years ago?

When I arrived in 2012 to retire I used to do 60+30's for Thailand, followed by a month in Cambodia, then repeat the 120 day cycle. I did this for 18 months and every time I used to visit immigration I did so within the first two weeks of the 60-day visa, the 30-day extension was always added on the end, to make a total of 90-days.

Well, bugger me! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, skippy123 said:

Come in on the first visa exempt stamp good for 30 days then extend in country at immigration for another 30 days for a total of 60 days for 1900 THB.

Then you can fly out and reenter to get another visa exempt for 30 days which you can extend in country for another 30 days for a total of 60 days for 1900 THB.

You should be able to stay for 4 months in all this way. 

Have the 20000 THB or equivalent currency with you when entering Thailand.

 

Did you want to stay longer than 4 months?

Thanks for the reply,

No maybe less than 4 months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, zeppo said:

You can get a SETV (60 days) by post from the Thai Embassy. Takes about 5 working days, no need to visit the Embassy.

I dont want to do that as I dont trust the German postal system (long story but have had trouble with it before)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Len Dtuut said:

Warning: when you extend a 30 day entry stamp your new 30 days will start the date you get the extension (unless it changed since I did it last year and the year before). So you need to extend at immigration as close to when your 30 stamp expires as possible. If one extends a tourist visa they get the full 30 days added on to the exit date on the stamp even if they go in a week before and get an extension. 

Ahhh right ok.

So I enter with the standard 30 days then near the end extend.

But I would still have to have a flight out of the country booked as I entered on a 1 way ticket right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I dont want to do that as I dont trust the German postal system (long story but have had trouble with it before)
Do you stay at the moment in Germany? Why you not get a single or multiple entry tourist visa in a consulate(not by post). I go next week to Frankfurt to get my Non-Immigrant O single entry Visa (good for 90 days).

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 7 plus mit Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...