Rate this topic

For those who use GRAB here's some valuable (at least in my opinion) information:

GRAB is sharing the data of your ride with the TAT, the Thai tourism authority.
https://www.tatnews.org/2019/02/tat-announces-partnership-with-grab/

GRAB claims that the data shared with TAT is anonymous, but everybody knows that this isnt true.

9 hours ago, vinnisman said:

use grab taxi instead

7 hours ago, andycoys said:

Grab Taxi, download from Apps store, and bobs your uncle .. 

Ditto

7 hours ago, andycoys said:

Grab Taxi, download from Apps store, and Bob's your uncle .. 

Bob's my dad actually.....or do you know our dark family secret :) 555

9 hours ago, andycoys said:

Grab Taxi, download from Apps store, and bobs your uncle .. 

They have some terrible reviews, sounds very much like the shyster organisation in the UK called Uber.

Normally I have no problem with taxis, I book a car to and from the airport, otherwise I stick to baht buses.

These taxi drivers are simply rip off merchants, in Bangkok I insist on the meter or I walk away.

I've used Grab sometimes in BKK but most of the time I can get meter taxis just fine.

Grab in Pattaya is a lot more dicey as the Grab drivers are under constant heat from the Taxi mafia. I summoned a Grab when I arrived from Bangkok at the bus station. I got matched to a driver very quickly but he called me up as I got off the bus and told me to put my phone away, don't show that I have the Grab app running and to meet him outside the back exit....be discreet. There have been stories before where the taxi guys have blockaded passing Grab cars and pulled the driver out for a beating.

A real shame as the Grab car I had was new, clean, and the driver spoke excellent English.

57 minutes ago, Kendo UK said:

I've used Grab sometimes in BKK but most of the time I can get meter taxis just fine.

Grab in Pattaya is a lot more dicey as the Grab drivers are under constant heat from the Taxi mafia. I summoned a Grab when I arrived from Bangkok at the bus station. I got matched to a driver very quickly but he called me up as I got off the bus and told me to put my phone away, don't show that I have the Grab app running and to meet him outside the back exit....be discreet. There have been stories before where the taxi guys have blockaded passing Grab cars and pulled the driver out for a beating.

A real shame as the Grab car I had was new, clean, and the driver spoke excellent English.

I am a retired taxi driver from the UK, these apps are totally fucking up the industry, there have been numerous sexual assaults with Uber drivers, in London 99% of Uber drivers are from overseas, impossible to check out the police record of someone who has recently arrived from Syria or Nigeria.

The problem in Thailand is lack of regulation, if metered taxis refuse to put the meter on then the driver should lose his license, that is what happens in most civilised countries.

It's not just the lack of regulation & oversight, it's the sheer corruption of the taxi mafia and the lack of authoritative control over the audacious price demands from the greedy bastards.

They've got away with it for too long and can never go back without legal support in penalising them.

The authorities are not stupid, they know what's going on but are powerless to interfere for fear of retaliation. :angry:

1 hour ago, Trampolinos said:

I am a retired taxi driver from the UK, these apps are totally fucking up the industry, there have been numerous sexual assaults with Uber drivers, in London 99% of Uber drivers are from overseas, impossible to check out the police record of someone who has recently arrived from Syria or Nigeria.

The problem in Thailand is lack of regulation, if metered taxis refuse to put the meter on then the driver should lose his license, that is what happens in most civilised countries.

Only used grab once in Pattaya. Way more expensive than in other places in Thailand. As I assume they can't deviate too much from maffia prices, especially not to a place like the bus station.. But the service was very good.

Used it a lot around Chiang mai. Very polite, Thai drivers, good/new cars, there within  a few minutes after your order, no bs, no overcharging, no driving around not knowing your destination, not asking/expecting tips. It's far superior to the rickety/corrupt/f'ckd up system that is regular Thai taxi service.

Edited by Lucius

2 hours ago, Lucius said:

Only used grab once in Pattaya. Way more expensive than in other places in Thailand. As I assume they can't deviate too much from maffia prices, especially not to a place like the bus station.. But the service was very good.

Used it a lot around Chiang mai. Very polite, Thai drivers, good/new cars, there within  a few minutes after your order, no bs, no overcharging, no driving around not knowing your destination, not asking/expecting tips. It's far superior to the rickety/corrupt/f'ckd up system that is regular Thai taxi service.

Pleased you had a good experience, I wonder how many of these drivers actually have insurance to carry paying passengers, my guess would be zero.

UK taxis are generally of a decent standard, the meter is used and you have recourse in the event of a complaint. Grab was started in Malaysia, Malaysian taxi drivers were rated as the worst in the world, coincidence ?

Thai taxi drivers often refuse to use the meter and operate a mafia system enforcing who can pick up in which areas and what inflated rates to charge. Phuket drivers actually blockaded hotels to prevent guests being picked up by anyone else and forcing them to use taxis.

Fuck the lot of them, Grab is one of the best things for tourists in Thailand.

8 hours ago, Trampolinos said:

Pleased you had a good experience, I wonder how many of these drivers actually have insurance to carry paying passengers, my guess would be zero.

My guess would be that the Taxi Mafiosa are also negligent on their insurance, while it may be a requirement of the taxi license a folded 100 baht note usually suffices. :angry:

12 hours ago, Trampolinos said:

I have heard London has one of the best taxi services in the world. Do not project that image on Thailand..

With all due respect it sounds like you haven't spent much time travelling around here..

3 hours ago, Lucius said:

I have heard London has one of the best taxi services in the world. Do not project that image on Thailand..

With all due respect it sounds like you haven't spent much time travelling around here..

Real London taxis are highly regulated, the vehicle has to be checked over twice a year, the driver has to undergo a full police check every three years, there are hundreds of inspectors doing roadside checks.

You are correct, I have been here 35 times since 2001 but avoid travelling apart from airport to hotel.

We have to remember that Thailand is a corrupt 4th world country, that will not change any time soon.

I did the Knowledge and got my Green Badge, but it was during the 1990/91 recession and couldn't make enough as a Cabbie, so stayed in my day job.

I used to use a pre-booked taxi from airport to Pattaya/Jomtien and back. I thought it was cheap, 1000/1100 baht for a 90 mile journey, compared with London taxi prices, and I Iike to support taxi drivers when I can.

But now I'm retired I try to keep expenditure down and use the Bus service to get fro and to airport, only 120 Baht.

I don't think I would feel safe on the motorbike taxis.

Well, indeed.

I must say, I like to go down to the beach occasionally and have never had a Pompem witt said Taxis.

kruh17eY_400x400.jpg

Now, a late tip;

Make sure to access the rear passenger door promptly and once inside and seated comfortably, LOCK said door.

It's all about claiming territory, initially. In the broader scheme of things.

Then... state CLEARLY AND CONCISELY One's destination. I feel this is an important part of the process, indeed fundamental and should be delivered vociferously.

Now, I'll confess, I do get some strange reactions. I'm not entirely sure what that's about, but it seems to My Good Self, at least. That the aforementioned Taxi Drivers just might be........

a little "All At Sea", given they have a new customer and may have well just deposited another "Scourge Of Pattaya" at this very kerb. I mean, God knows what they have just had to put up witt, eh? One could surely not blame them for this. So I choose to overlook it, God Bless 'Em.

Also and as a side note, I am told that Taxi Drivers are very clued up witt regard to the traffic movements and the likelihood that, whilst they may be taking a passenger to.........

Samut Prakan, for example? If One was seeking to exit Patpong at twelve am in Bangkok?

The likelihood of getting a fare any time soon, back to BKK is very remote.

So, they might well have to return to said Metropolis empty. To seek out another fare.

Thus the question begs.... Who(m) is gonna pay for that?

Now, I am sure it is a Regional phenomenon, but perhaps one needs to consider.

Splashety Splash.

:)

Edited by Thaiman12
I give them three hundred Baht to release me from the shame of Soi Patpong. Transport Me back to my Hotel. Where I cry like a Girl, drink wine and listen to Debussy.

2 hours ago, Quietguy said:

I did the Knowledge and got my Green Badge, but it was during the 1990/91 recession and couldn't make enough as a Cabbie, so stayed in my day job.

I used to use a pre-booked taxi from airport to Pattaya/Jomtien and back. I thought it was cheap, 1000/1100 baht for a 90 mile journey, compared with London taxi prices, and I Iike to support taxi drivers when I can.

But now I'm retired I try to keep expenditure down and use the Bus service to get fro and to airport, only 120 Baht.

I don't think I would feel safe on the motorbike taxis.

Regarding motorbike taxis ———— I am sure there are excellent hospitals in Pattaya however I don’t want to end up doing a review on one.

Regarding the bus, sorry mate but after a 12 hour flight I want to see my name on a board when I clear customs, I can’t have the stress of finding the bus and then waiting for it to leave.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:38 PM, Trampolinos said:

Why do these taxis have meters when they refuse to use them. ??

i was quoted 500 baht from Bali Hi Pier to Central Pattaya Road, I never paid it but he would not go lower, let me walk away.

Next time hire a baht bus. There must have been a few waiting at the pier.

Taxi's in Pattaya are often from Bangkok and just hanging around until they get a fare back. Probably illegal for them pick up a local ride, maybe that's why he refused to turn on the meter and quoted you a high price.