Peterbilt

Pakistani airspace closed

Rate this topic

This morning the airspace of Pakistan has been closed for all civil aviation until further notice.
This does affect flights from Europe to BKK.
Thai has already cancelled a bunch of flights scheduled for February 27th:

<Quote from the TG website>
Due to Pakistan airspace closure,
Flight cancellations are as follows

TG931/27Feb Paris-Bangkok
TG911/27Feb London-Bangkok
TG921/27Feb Frankfurt-Bangkok
TG941/27Feb Milan-Bangkok
TG945/27Feb Rome-Bangkok
TG971/27Feb Zurich-Bangkok
TG961/27Feb Stockholm-Bangkok
TG925/27Feb Munich-Bangkok
TG951/27Feb Copenhagen-Bangkok
TG341/TG342/27Feb Bangkok-Karachi v.v.
TG345/TG346/27Feb Bangkok-Lahore v.v.
TG349/TG350/27Feb Bangkok-Islamabad v.v.
All flights from Bangkok to Europe departing near midnight of 27FEB through early 28 FEB have been cancelled.

Further information will keep update
</QUOTE>
After rerouting southwards to avoid Pakistan massive delays are likely.
If you plan to fly from Europe to/from BKK pls check out your airlines websites for news.

This morning the airspace of Pakistan has been closed for all civil aviation until further notice.
This does affect flights from Europe to BKK.
Thai has already cancelled a bunch of flights scheduled for February 27th:

Due to Pakistan airspace closure,
Flight cancellations are as follows

TG931/27Feb Paris-Bangkok
TG911/27Feb London-Bangkok
TG921/27Feb Frankfurt-Bangkok
TG941/27Feb Milan-Bangkok
TG945/27Feb Rome-Bangkok
TG971/27Feb Zurich-Bangkok
TG961/27Feb Stockholm-Bangkok
TG925/27Feb Munich-Bangkok
TG951/27Feb Copenhagen-Bangkok
TG341/TG342/27Feb Bangkok-Karachi v.v.
TG345/TG346/27Feb Bangkok-Lahore v.v.
TG349/TG350/27Feb Bangkok-Islamabad v.v.
All flights from Bangkok to Europe departing near midnight of 27FEB through early 28 FEB have been cancelled.

Further information will keep update

After rerouting southwards to avoid Pakistan massive delays are likely.
If you plan to fly from Europe to/from BKK pls check out your airlines websites for news.
Thanks for the info. I hope my flight next Monday will be ok.

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 7 plus mit Tapatalk

Thought earlier today it was just the usual spat.

It transpires I was mistaken.

If it carries on I'd purchase travel insurance asap.

Sid

27 minutes ago, Maracana_130714 said:

On YouTube there r brand New videos from BKK Airport!!!

A complete Chaos!!!

Can you send a link please , I can't find anything about it.

Any reason why the flights are stopped 

24 minutes ago, stoolpusher said:

The Pakistanis shot down a couple on Indian warplanes near the border ( for allegedly entering Pakistan airspace ) ....so all hell has been let loose .Its all connected to the India/Pakistan conflict over Kashmir which has been going on for decades 

I am guessing it won't take long to work out some new routes , avoiding the conflict zone , not sure how much this would add onto the flying time nor whether it could entail a refuelling stop ...probably not 

Edited by LordJim

10 minutes ago, stoolpusher said:

Thai Airways also orederd back his planes who started already to Europe

It’s interesting, the BA flight, LHR-BKK (B777) is currently on-route and schedule to land on time while flying a more southerly route. Yet both Thai & EVA have grounded their aircraft in both directions.

The retuning BA flight BKK-LHR has stopped in Bucharest, presumably to re-fuel.

Been following this situation for several hours, as I'm in the airline industry.

A Qatar flight to Amritsar is the only a/c entering the Punjab albeit several hours late.

The airlanes south of India n Pakistan are more congested than the M25 on a Bank Holiday weekend.

Buckle down and get travel insurance. I think it's going to be messy.

Sid

Thai Airways has made an agreement with the great leader in Beijing to use chinese airspace for flights into Europe.
Since I wanted to fly tonight with TG 923 I'm already monitoring the inbound TG 922 bound for FRA.
It left BKK with a huge delay of 100 mins and is at the moment just north of the chinese city Chengdu. Heading is straight north.
Estimated flight time is 13 hours and 7 mins instead of the 12hrs25mins scheduled.

lia922.png

Edited by Peterbilt
typo

i can't see why they don't file flightpaths on the more southerly route, flying over central/southern india and then over the the gulf for these western european routes. on a flat map it looks to be an obvious choice but perhaps the curvature of the earth and/or airspace  congestion over the gulf may have something to do with it?

Edited by nonsense

15 minutes ago, Len Dtuut said:

If a plane is flying from LHR to BKK on the shortest possible route they would never go through Pakistan. So there must already be something else that is pushing them farther south.

https://www.greatcirclemapper.net/en/great-circle-mapper/route/VTBS-EGLL/aircraft/235.html

As I said , the airlines will have to create A VOYAGE PLAN AND SUBMITT IT TO CAA (whoops sorry cap lock ) .....The voyage plan must consider many factors such as range , / available ports of refuge / deviation ports etc . Also the airlines commercial relationships with the proposed airports encountered on the route needs to be established . agents appointed , lines of credit established/ fuel and services  etc ...takes a couple of days ...hence planes turning back whilst enroute when it first broke out 

It may seem crazy to instruct pilots to return to base ...but probably a better outcome than having to land in Khurgishitstan and be jammed up for days .

Also remember that when this shit usually goes off , the head decision makers are often off duty / asleep / pissed / having lunch /playing golf etc etc ...so the safe call was .........."you have fuel ...bring the problems home "  far easier to deal with 500 pissed off pax in your home port than some outback where you have no connections .

Edited by LordJim

May I comment on it LJ? ICAO has routes established just the same as highways on the road. So airlines will have to stick to those and they also have mandatory reporting points on those routes which are called airways. 

I guess the main reason why Pakistan closed the airspace could be that they did not want anyone sneaking in behind or hiding behind a civil aircraft though civil aircraft has transponders which gives all their information.

I hope things will calm down now with Pakistan offering to release the pilot. 

2 hours ago, dav662 said:

May I comment on it LJ? ICAO has routes established just the same as highways on the road. So airlines will have to stick to those and they also have mandatory reporting points on those routes which are called airways. 

I guess the main reason why Pakistan closed the airspace could be that they did not want anyone sneaking in behind or hiding behind a civil aircraft though civil aircraft has transponders which gives all their information.

The Pakistan President Imran Khan seems to be a very reasonable man and is saying all the right things and appears to want appeasement/peace  , so I would expect it will be business as usual quite soon . 

2 hours ago, dav662 said:

Yup agreed